Student Work Study Guide


A student may be determined eligible for Federal Work-Study only after meeting all of the following criteria:

  • A student must demonstrate financial need, as determined by a uniform need analysis evaluation. Students must file the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
  • Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident of the US or a Trust Territory.
  • Must be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a matriculated student on at least a half time basis.
  • Must be maintaining satisfactory progress toward a degree, be in good academic standing, and not have been in attendance at Finger Lakes Community College for longer than the equivalent of 6 semesters.
  • Must meet the financial aid application deadline as published in the college catalog.

The Financial Aid Office will verify eligibility requirements and make work-study awards consistent with college and federally established regulations, and will determine a student's continued eligibility for the program. Eligibility will be determined at the start of each semester or break period. Eligibility DOES NOT carry over from one academic year to the next. It is your responsibility to apply annually by the published deadline if you wish to return to the program.

When and How to Apply

To apply for Federal Work Study you must:
  • Indicate you are interested in being considered for work-study on your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by answering "yes" to question #31.
  • FWS funds are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis so it is important to file as soon as possible after October 1st. Applications filed prior to February 1 are given first consideration.
  • You will receive an award letter from FLCC listing a work-study funding amount. However, if you are not awarded work-study, you may stop by the One Stop Center starting the first day of the semester to be placed on a waitlist.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I find a job?

To view current openings, access Handshake available or contact Career Services for more information.

Apply via Handshake

How many hours should I expect to work?

Work-Study awards are based on a fixed amount of money available to each student for the academic year. This award is translated into the number of hours/semester you should work to ensure that the funds last the entire academic year (approximately 10 hours per week).

How will my hours be scheduled?

Hours you are to work will be agreed upon by you and your supervisor. Normally, you will set up hours around your class schedule. It is expected that you will work your assigned hours or give adequate notice if you are unable to do so. College policy does not allow you to work more than 20 hours per week. New York State Labor Laws require that after six hours in one shift, you must take a 30 minute lunch break. Students may not earn more than the award amount granted. It is your responsibility to monitor your earnings to date. You may elect to earn less than the awarded amount, but the amount may not be increased without the permission of the Financial Aid Office.

How do I change jobs?

First, you should give adequate notice to your current supervisor and inform him/her of your decision to change jobs. Next, notify the Financial Aid Office and apply for a new position on Handshake.

When is payday?

Work-Study employees receive their paycheck every other week. Employees must submit their timecard by the deadline to their supervisor and the Payroll Office for approval.

How do I fill out my timecard?

You can access your timecard via your MyFLCC account in the "Employees" section under "Time Entry and Approval." Timecards are typically submitted electronically unless your position is off-campus.

For instructions, please visit and select the "Student" PDF under the "Web Time Entry Instructions" section.

If you work off campus, each time that you work, enter your start time and finish time on the card. Each day on the card can accommodate three separate work periods. Add the hours up for each day at the bottom of the column, and then add the hours across at the end of the week. At the end of the second week, write the total hours for both weeks in the space provided.

Your timecard will automatically be sent to your department when you start work. Check with your supervisor about where your timecard will be kept. DO NOT remove your timecard from this area. In order to be paid, two things must happen:

  • You must submit your signed and completed timecard to your supervisor on or before the ending date.
  • The timecard must be submitted to the Payroll Office no later than 9 AM on the Monday after the pay period ends. (Please note that holiday weeks may result in a change in this time).

How and where do I get my check?

You can pick up your paycheck in room B133 between the hours of 10 AM to 2 PM on payday. Be prepared to show ID. Any checks not picked up will be mailed to your home on Friday afternoon.

Direct Deposit is available. Sign up on MyFLCC under the employee section.

What is my rate of pay?

All work-study employees are paid at the current New York State minimum wage rate ($14.20).

Contact Us

Financial Aid Office
Room 1145
(585) 785-1276
(585) 394-0635

Mon-Thu: 8:30 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Fri: 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Walk Ins Welcome.