FLCC informs students about voter registration and encourages informed citizenship and democratic participation. See below for information on registering to vote in New York and absentee voting.
How and Where to Register to Vote
- Online: Use the Board of Elections' Online Voter Registration system to register to vote or change your voter registration information. To register online, you will need to use a NY.Gov ID. If you have previously used a NY.Gov ID with another agency, you may use the same login to access the Online Voter Registration portal. If you have not used a NY.Gov ID, you will need to create an account.
- In-Person: Register in person at your county board of elections, any New York State Agency-Based voter registration center, or the Department of Motor Vehicles.
- Mail: Enter your name into the Board of Elections' mailer list or call 1-800-FOR-VOTE to request an application, then mail the completed form to your county board of elections.
For more information, including eligibility requirements, visit NYS Board of Election Register to Vote.
New York State Voter Registration Form
You may register to vote using the New York State Voter Registration Forms below. You can complete the form online by clicking the link below, typing the necessary information, and selecting the appropriate boxes. You can also print the form to complete by hand.
Who May Apply for an Absentee Ballot
You may qualify to vote absentee for the following reasons:
- Absent from your county or, if a resident of New York City, absent from the five boroughs on Election Day.
- Unable to appear at the polls due to temporary or permanent illness or disability.
- Unable to appear because you are the primary caregiver of one or more individuals who are ill or physically disabled.
- A resident or patient of a Veterans Health Administration Hospital.
- In jail or prison for any reason other than a felony conviction. This includes anyone awaiting grand jury action or trial or serving a sentence for a misdemeanor.
How to Apply for An Absentee Ballot
- Online: Apply online using the Absentee Ballot Application Portal.
- In-Person: By going in person or designating another person to deliver your application to your local county board of elections.
- You can download a PDF version of the New York State Absentee Ballot Application Form and follow the instructions.
For more information on accessible voting options, visit NYS Board of Election Request a Ballot.