A.S. Business Administration
Associate in Science (A.S.)
Employment among business managers is expected to grow at a faster rate than the average through 2020. The demand for workers that have a business education along with relevant experience will increase as organizations continue to seek ways to improve efficiency and control costs.
The A.S. Business Administration degree program is designed to prepare you for transfer options into baccalaureate degree programs such as accounting, business administration, management information systems, or secondary education. Some transfer options to four-year colleges and universities* include:
- SUNY Colleges at Geneseo, Brockport, Cortland, and Fredonia
- Nazareth College
- St. John Fisher College
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Syracuse University
- Canisius College
Honors Courses: If you have demonstrated outstanding academic ability, you will have the opportunity to take honors courses at FLCC that provide enhanced educational experiences. If you are a qualified student in this degree program or are a qualified student from another program, enrollment in honors courses is open to you. Successful completion of honors courses or an Honors Certificate may increase your transfer options to four-year institutions.
*This is a sampling of some of the four-year colleges and universities to which FLCC students have transferred. Please consult your advisor or the Educational Planning and Career Services Office for a complete listing of transfer agreements between Finger Lakes Community College and four-year institutions.
The A.S. Business Administration degree program at FLCC is conveniently accessible on the internet and may be completed fully online. For more information on FLCC’s online learning programs, contact the Office of Online Learning at (585)785-1303 or visit the College's Online Degree Programs page.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree program, students will be able to:
- Apply mathematical principles and concepts to solve problems.
- Explore issues, ideas and data to formulate a plan of action.
- Identify the skills and knowledge necessary for businesses to succeed in the global community.
- Show the ability to identify, evaluate, use, and share information from current event resources.
- Apply marketing concepts as they relate to the marketplace and be able to apply this understanding to their entrance into taking upper-level college courses.
- Utilize the four basic financial statements and provide a managerial analysis of these statements in anticipation to their entrance into taking upper-level college courses.
- Demonstrate how a business makes decisions by studying economic trends in anticipation to their entrance into taking upper-level college courses.
- Employ professional values and honesty in preparation to their entrance into a four-year college.
FLCC's A.S. in Business Administration degree program prepares you to face the challenges of an ever-changing and diverse business world. The faculty has real-world experience as managers, business owners, and certified public accountants and they relate that experience to the theories they teach in class.
Internships: As a Business Administration major, internship opportunities will play a key role for you, thus enhancing your program experience. Interns have found opportunities at local businesses and agencies including:
- Ontario County
- The City of Geneva
- Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce
- Canandaigua National Bank
- The National Bank of Geneva
- Thompson Health
The business department is dedicated to preparing you for the job market through A.A.S. degrees and for transfer to four-year colleges through A.S. degrees. If you are enrolled in FLCC's programs, you can expect opportunities to complement your chosen field of study. These opportunities will provide you with a smooth transition to either the business world or to a four-year college by ultimately preparing you for a level of competency appropriate for success upon completing your degree.
Graduates of this program have successfully transferred with full junior status to various public and private four-year institutions. Others have become:
- Payroll Coordinators
- Receipt and Inventory Managers, and Customer Service Specialists
- Bank Tellers
As a business administration major, if you meet specific award criteria, you will be eligible for the following scholarships:
- Carol Scharett Memorial
- Canandaigua Rotary Martin Schneider
- Dennis Morga Memorial Business
The business administration faculty brings a diverse background of practical experiences to the classroom environment. As a result, faculty are able to enrich the learning experience and assist the students with achieving a level of competency appropriate for success in the workplace and for transfer to four-year colleges. The faculty is a dedicated and caring professional group that is known for their commitment to students and their education. Additionally, the department has faculty members that have received the prestigious Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching.