Skip to Navigation

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What if I have questions or concerns about staying well or making lifestyle changes?

A: Your questions will be dealt with seriously, respectfully and confidentially. Only you can decide what changes you will make, and who, if anyone, you would like notified of any changes. We will help you in any way we can.

Q: What if I get sick?

A: Any student who identifies a health care need may stop in or make an appointment to see a nurse. The nurse will complete an assessment, and provide appropriate health care and educational counseling for common college health problems. If additional medical care is needed, students may be referred to the Student Health Services’ nurse practitioner or to their primary physician, if local. If health problems require referral and students do not have medical insurance, they may be referred by the nurse to local urgent care facilities. Referrals for physical exams may also be obtained; fees vary with providers.

Q: What if I miss a class because I am sick?

A: If you are going to be out a week or longer, we will assist you with notifying instructors. You are still responsible for contacting instructors for assignments and to make-up work and tests.


Q: What immunizations do I need to attend college?

A: Students born on or after January 1, 1957 must submit a certificate of immunization to Student Health Services, prior to registering for classes. New York State Public Health Law, Section 2165, requires medical proof of the following immunizations: Measles: Two doses of live measles (given 1968 or after). The first dose must have been given on or after 12 months of age. The second dose must have been given on or after 15 months of age. Mumps & rubella: One dose of live vaccine received on or after the first birthday.

All students (except Gemini) enrolled in courses at the College must also receive information on meningococcal meningitis disease and vaccine availability. The student or parent of a minor child must sign and return to Student Health Services a form indicating that they have received the meningitis information, and have either (1) had the vaccine, or (2) decline to receive the vaccine.

Download the immunization certificate containing the meningitis response form.
(.pdf, Adobe Acrobat file)

The meningitis response can also be completed electronically on your Web Advisor account, listed under “Registration.”

Q: Where do I get these records?

A: Request a copy of your record from the Nurse's Office at a high school you attended or from your physician. The student may submit serologic evidence of immunity to measles, mumps and rubella (certified medical laboratory report that states "antibodies are positive and demonstrate a level of immunity.") (Baby records from parents which do not contain a physician or health provider's signature are unacceptable as proof of immunization).

Q: I was in the Service and received all those shots. Do I still need to provide proof of immunity?

A: Yes. You may try to acquire a copy of your record from the service. You may also need a copy of your immunization record from high school or your physician. Proof of honorable discharge from the armed services within ten years from the date of application to the College shall qualify as a certificate enabling the student to attend the institution pending actual receipt of immunization records.

Q: What if I do not supply the required shot record?

A: The College is required by law, and will withdraw you from classes.


Q: Do I need a physical exam for sports?

A: Yes. A physical examination is required to participate in the Intercollegiate Sports Program. Please contact the Athletic Trainer for information regarding sports physicals at (585)785-1295.

Q: What if I am injured playing sports?

A: If you are injured while participating in an intercollegiate athletic event for Finger Lakes Community College you must take the following steps in order to: 1) receive prompt, proper medical attention, and 2) insure that any medical expenses are covered in a timely manner:

  1. Report your injury to the certified athletic trainer as soon as possible. If you were already seen by a doctor prior to seeing the athletic trainer you must provide copies of your patient records to the certified athletic trainer. YOU STILL MUST REPORT THE INJURY TO THE CERTIFIED ATHLETIC TRAINER!
  2. Complete an injury report with the certified athletic trainer; without this injury report the Secondary Insurance Provider MAY NOT pay for your claim because they cannot verify the injury occurred at a College athletic event!
  3. Submit all of your medical bills to your Primary Insurance Company. (If you are covered by a primary insurance company it is recommended that you use both insurance plans to your benefit… remember that the College’s insurance coverage is only a secondary insurance policy!)
  4. Obtain an insurance claim form for the College's insurance policy from the certified athletic trainer or from Student Health Services.
  5. DO NOT SUBMIT MEDICAL BILLS / INSURANCE CLAIM FORMS TO THE COLLEGE! Submitting bills to the College will delay payment to providers and may affect your credit history. Submit copies of your bills (those not covered by your primary insurance company) and a complete claim form to: Student Assurance Services, Inc. P.O. Box 196, Stillwater, MN 55082.