Wildland Fire Suppression
Your career in Wildland Fire Suppression is within reach! FLCC's Wildland Fire Suppression certificate offers a solid foundation in wildland fire suppression. This certificate will provide you with the training wildland fire fighters need for the Federal Interagency "Red Card" and will meet and exceed the minimum requirements for state and federal agencies that hire wildland fire fighters.
If you plan to pursue employment with the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) and federal agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service, the Bureau of Land Management, the National Park Service and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, this program is for you! This certificate also is perfect for you if you have a general interest in wildland fire suppression, or if you are a volunteer firefighter who would like to expand your knowledge and career opportunities. Courses in this certificate can be transferred to related A.A.S. programs in Conservation.
Courses are offered in the evening and on weekends to accommodate the schedules of busy adult students and employed students.
You may also receive federally-recognized certification through the completion of Wildland Fire Suppression (S130/S190); Portable Pumps and Water Use (S211); Fire Fighter Type I (S131/S134); Wildland Fire Chain Saws (S212); Basic Incident Command System (I100/I200); and Fire Operations in the Wildland/Urban Interface (S215).
If you are a prospective firefighter, you must first complete WFS 130/CON 255 Wildland Fire Suppression, offered as part of this certificate program. This course provides the required training to obtain the S130 and S190 state and federally-recognized certification. Additionally, you must pass an employer's physical fitness test consisting of a timed run or "pack" test.
FLCC was the first college in New York state to offer this course to the public.
As a student in this program, you are required to complete a minimum of 24 credit hours with a grade point average of not less than C (2.0). For this certificate, you must successfully complete the following:
- COM 110 Public Speaking or COM 115 Interpersonal Communication
Wildland Fire Suppression
- WFS 100 Orienteering
- WFS 101 Fire Science Agencies and Careers
- WFS 130/CON255 Wildland Fire Suppression
- WFS 131 Firefighter Type I
- WFS/CON 256 Fire Ecology
- 4 credit hours of Wildland Fire Suppression Electives*
- 6 credit hours of Conservation Electives
- PE 214 Advanced First Aid, CPR and AED
*Approved Wildland Fire Suppression Electives
- WFS 110 Wildland Fire Lookouts, Communications, Escape Routes and Safety Zones (LCES)
- WFS 211 Portable Pump and Water Use
- WFS 212 WIldland Fire Chain Saw
- WFS 215 Fire Operations in the Wildland/Urban Interface
First Semester ( 12 Credit Hours)
- COM 110 Public Speaking (3) or COM 115 Interpersonal Communication (3)
- WFS 100 Orienteering (1)
- WFS 101 Fire Science Agencies and Careers (1)
- WFS 130/CON 255 Wildland Fire Suppression (2)
- Wildland Fire Suppression (2)
- PE 214 Advanced First Aid, CPR and AED (3)
Second Semester (12 Credit Hours)
- WFS 131 Fire Fighter Type I (1)
- WFS/CON 256 Fire Ecology (3)
- Wildland Fire Suppression Elective (2)
- Conservation Elective (3) (SCI 171 Meteorology acceptable)
- Conservation Elective (3)
Financial Aid Options
Federal financial aid is not available for the Wildland Fire Suppression certificate program. State aid may be available, if you qualify. Visit www.flcc.edu/finaid or contact the FLCC Financial Aid office for more information.