Physical Education and Exercise Science
Associate in Science (A.S.)
Employment in the health and physical education field is expected to grow as interest in fitness and health for individuals and special groups increases. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, a large number of openings in the field of elementary and secondary school teaching are expected due to a large group of teachers reaching retirement age. The physical education and exercise science degree program at FLCC is designed to prepare you for transfer in the field by building a solid liberal arts foundation.
Career opportunities in this field include:
- Health/Physical Education Teacher
- College Health/Physical Education Instructor/Professor
- Health/Fitness Consultant
- Fitness Instructor
- Athletic Coach
- Physical/Recreational Therapist
- Cardiac Rehabilitation
The A.S. physical education and exercise science curriculum will help you take actionable steps for seamless transfer to a bachelor of science degree program. In this program, you will evaluate and integrate the benefits and impact physical activity has on your quality of life. Successful graduates will appreciate the value of physical activity in human development, interaction and performance as physical educators who will make a difference in the vitality of their communities.
Through this program, you will have the opportunity to earn the following certifications:
- New York State Coaching
- Water Safety Instruction
- SAVE (Safe Schools Against Violence in Education)
- Child Abuse Mandated Reporter
- Responding to Emergencies
- Adult, Infant, Child CPR
- AED Essentials
Honors Courses: If you have demonstrated outstanding academic ability, you will have the opportunity to take honors courses at FLCC that provide enhanced educational experiences. If you are a qualified student in this degree program or are a qualified student from another program, enrollment in honors courses is open to you. Successful completion of honors courses or an honors certificate may increase your transfer options to four-year institutions.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon completion of this degree program:
- Interconnectedness: Students will be able to observe and evaluate patterns of movement related to sport, exercise and fitness.
- Inquiry: Students will be able to analyze a situation to prevent or evaluate a physical injury.
- Vitality: Students will be able to advocate for a lifetime of physical activity using their knowledge of wellness.
- Perseverance: Students will have the knowledge, skills and certification for seamless transfer towards a bachelor of science degree.
While enrolled in this program, you will be introduced to a physical education and exercise science curriculum. Additionally, you will receive hands-on teaching experience in local schools.
Field Trips: Trips to kinesiology departments at four-year colleges and universities and visits to colleges with physical education and exercise science programs are all part of your program experience.
Students in this program generally transfer to pursue baccalaureate degrees in this field at four-year institutions* such as:
- SUNY Brockport
- SUNY Cortland
- Canisius College
- Ithaca College
- Roberts Wesleyan College
- St. Bonaventure University
- Syracuse University
FLCC alumni currently serve as teachers and coaches in school systems throughout New York State including Penn Yan, Newark, South Seneca, Gananda, Fairport, Lyons, Waterloo, Churchville-Chili high schools, Greece high schools, and in the Rochester School District.
Salary: The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported the following median annual wages for teaching positions in 2012:
- Kindergarten and Elementary School Teachers ($53,090)
- High School Teachers ($55,050)
- Postsecondary Teachers ($68,970)
* This is a sampling of some of the four-year colleges and universities to which FLCC students have transferred. Please consult your advisor or the Educational Planning and Career Services Office for a complete listing of transfer agreements between FLCC and four-year institutions.
As a physical education and exercise science major, if you meet specific award criteria, you will be eligible for the Kiwanis Club/Canandaigua Classic Scholarship in Memory of Denett Pimkowski. For more information on this scholarship, contact the Physical Education and Integrated Healthcare Department or the Financial Aid Office.
The faculty members in the physical education and exercise science program hold advanced degrees in health and physical education. The faculty carries extensive coaching and teaching experience to the classroom at various levels. In addition, the faculty also possesses a wide array of educational expertise in adaptive physical education, coaching certification and fitness and wellness. The Physical Education and Integrated Healthcare Department also utilizes highly specialized adjunct faculty to teach specific courses that complement the diverse number of course offerings.