A.A.S. Business Administration
Employment among business managers is expected to grow at a faster rate than the average through 2020. The demand for workers that have a business education along with relevant experience will increase as organizations continue to seek ways to improve efficiency and control costs.
The A.A.S. business administration degree program is designed to prepare you for employment upon graduation in a variety of positions in the business community with a broad-based business foundation in accounting and economics as well as intense study in the fields of marketing, management, or business administration. A.A.S. students are also accepted at the following institutions*:
- St. John Fisher College
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- Nazareth College
Honors Courses: If you have demonstrated outstanding academic ability, you will have the opportunity to take honors courses at FLCC that provide enhanced educational experiences. If you are a qualified student in this degree program or are a qualified student from another program, enrollment in honors courses is open to you. Successful completion of honors courses or an Honors Certificate may increase your transfer options to four-year institutions.
*This is a sampling of some of the four-year colleges and universities to which FLCC students have transferred. Please consult your advisor or the educational planning and career services office for a complete listing of transfer agreements between Finger Lakes Community College and four-year institutions.
The A.A.S. business administration degree program at FLCC is conveniently accessible on the internet and may be fully completed online. For more information on FLCC’s online learning programs, contact the Office of Online Learning at (585)-785-1303 or you can visit the colleges’ online degree programs page.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Apply mathematical principles and concepts to solve problems.
- Explore issues, ideas and data to formulate a plan of action.
- Identify the skills and knowledge necessary for businesses to succeed in the global community.
- Show the ability to identify, evaluate, use, and share information from current event resources.
- Apply marketing concepts as they relate to the marketplace and be able to apply this understanding to an entry-level position.
- Utilize the four basic financial statements and provide a managerial analysis of these statements in anticipation to their entrance into the workplace.
- Demonstrate how a business makes decisions by studying economic trends in anticipation to their entrance into the workplace.
- Apply the accepted process and procedure used to gain an entry-level business position by acquiring business communication skills for entering and being successful in the business community.
- Employ professional values and honesty in preparation to their entrance into the workplace.
FLCC's A.A.S. business administration degree program prepares you to face the challenges of an ever-changing and diverse business world. The faculty has real-world experience as managers, business owners, and certified public accountants and they relate that experience to the theories they teach in class.
Internships: As a business administration major, internship opportunities are readily available for you and provide valuable experience along with great networking opportunities. Placement in local businesses and agencies has included:
- Ontario County
- The City of Geneva
- Canandaigua Chamber of Commerce
- Canandaigua National Bank
- The National Bank of Geneva
- Thompson Health
The business department is dedicated to preparing you for the job market through A.A.S. degrees and for transfer to four-year colleges through A.S. degrees. If you are enrolled in one of FLCC’s business programs, you can expect opportunities to complement your chosen field of study. These opportunities will provide you with a smooth transition to the business world or to a four-year college by preparing you for a level of competency appropriate for success upon completing your degree.
Graduates of this program have become:
- Payroll Coordinators
- Receipt and Inventory Managers
- Customer Service Specialists
- Bank Tellers
- Managers at large and small companies
Others have successfully transferred to public and private four-year institutions to continue their education.
As a business administration major, if you meet specific award criteria, you will be eligible for the following scholarships:
- Carol Scharett Memorial
- Canandaigua Rotary Martin Schneider
- Dennis Morga Memorial Scholarship in Business
The business administration faculty brings a diverse background of practical experiences to the classroom environment. As a result, faculty are able to enrich the learning experience and assist the students with achieving a level of competency appropriate for success in the workplace and for transfer to four-year colleges. The faculty is a dedicated and caring professional group that is known for its commitment to students and their education. Additionally, the department has faculty members that have received the prestigious Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Teaching.